Overview of Submitting a Manuscript to JAFSCD
Before preparing a manuscript for submission to JAFSCD, authors should carefully review all of the material on both the ABOUT page and this SUBMISSIONS page, especially the Tips for Authors, Submission Guidelines, and Permissions. Failure to understand the mission of the Journal and its editorial policies can cause severe delays in the submission, peer-review, and publishing processes, and may lead to an early rejection of your manuscript.
The following are the basic steps in the process of submitting, peer-reveiwing, and publishing a manuscript in the JAFSCD:
- Complete and submit the query form. Be sure to indicate whether you wish your manuscript to be published as JAFSCD Open Choice.
- JAFSCD editors will review the form (and any additional attachment(s)) and notify the author whether the manuscript is approved for submission.
- If the submission is approved, the author is given instructions for uploading the manuscript into Manuscript FastTrack, JAFSCD’s online peer-review system. The author is also given a copy of the conflict of interest disclosure form that will need to be signed if the paper is accepted. This lets the author be aware of how to handle disclosures early in the process. (See an overview of conflicts of interest at Wikipedia.)
- JAFSCD editors assign the manuscript to two or more reviewers. The peer-review system is double-blind so that neither the author nor the reviewer is aware of the other’s identity.
- The reviewers make recommendations on whether to accept (typically with minor revisions recommended), provisionally accept (accept for a second review after major revisions are completed), or reject a manuscript. In all cases, the editors make the final judgment on whether to accept.
- After the reviewers' comments and recommendations are received, the editors notify the author by email of the decision and attach the reviews and any additional materials (such as copies of the manuscript with suggested edits and embedded comments).
- If the manuscript is provisionally accepted, JAFSCD editors generally give the author(s) latitude regarding which of the reviewers’ recommendations they must address. However, the revised manuscript must be accompanied by a separate document or embedded comments in the revision noting how the author(s) responded to the key recommendations of the reviewers.
- Some back and forth editorial activity may take place between the author and the journal editors as the manuscript is proof-read and fact-checked. The manuscript is then formatted for publication.
- Once a final manuscript is completed, author(s) is/are asked to give it their final review and sign an author agreement transferring the copyright to New Leaf Associates, Inc., certifying that they have disclosed any conflicts of interest, and signing off on the version to be published.